Sunday 1 April 2012

Number 17

So to begin a little update on the healthy eating...

I have now come to the realisation that there is not much I don't actually like, as an example yesterday I tried coleslaw for the first time and it was LOVELY! Having always thought that I didn't like raw onion or cabbage, then thinking well I actually quite like raw onion now and coked cabbage is nice too so yeah I'll try it, and what do you know I really liked it!

The biggest obstacle I have however is even though I like these things my head still say's no. So I am constantly fighting against it which get's to be a bit annoying! On the better side though I now have more things to try and I have been assured that my home-made coleslaw is the best so I am to try that next time I make it.

Yes I am aware that I am a little weird!

Ok... a lot weird :D

So to today's post and I am pleased to announce that I have finally come up with a concept for the story book - I won't say any more as yet but it looks cute in my head!! hehehe.

I have also decided (in the hope that the weather is nice) to have a BBQ next Saturday with all the family - Mum, my step dad and my Nanna, Robs sister and my best friend Elin, her lovely boyfriend tricky and our nephews Sion and Owain and of course my hubby and gorgeous boys! If I can too, although logistically it might be a pain, I would like to get Stephen and Christopher - Robs younger brothers - down too. I thought I would share with you some of the food I am going to make and their recipe's so maybe you can BBQ along with me, or use them for your next.

Menu
Red pepper beef burgers
Normal beef burgers
Minted lamb burgers
Marinated chicken kebabs
Pull apart cheese and bacon bread
Moroccan couscous
Mushroom rice
Jacket potatoes
Cheese and bacon stuffed mushrooms
Potato Salad
Quiche
Coleslaw
Chicken goujons
Sausages and fried onions
Tortillas
Honey and mustard Dip
Sour cream Dip
Salsa
Mixed leaf salad
Hot cross buns
Easter themed cupcakes
Easter nest chocolate rice krispie cakes
Fruit salad
Fruit Punch


I don't buy my own burgers any more as I find the home-made ones so much better, healthier and tastier. So to start here is a recipe for my red pepper beef burger - they are so yummy, one won't be enough!

To make 4 quarter pound beef burgers:  (can also be used to make 8 smaller burgers)                        

1 lbs of fresh lean minced beef 
2 pinches of salt 
2 pinches of black pepper
1 tablespoon of dried parsley                                         
1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
1 finely diced red pepper                      
1 finely diced red onion
1/2 a teaspoon of Chilli powder
A good squirt of tomato ketchup

Combine everything together in a bowl, mixing well.
Divide in half and then half again.
Using cling film underneath, roll into balls then flatten with the palm of your hand (if you have a burger press use it now).
Cook in a medium heat pan or grill turning once until cooked to desired pinkness - rare, medium, well done.
Serve on a fresh roll with mayonnaise and mixed salad leaves.

I will also share with you the pull apart cheese and bacon bread recipe - which is something new but oh so good!


1 un-sliced loaf - a bloomer would be best
220g of thinly sliced cheddar cheese
100g of bacon lardons
115g of butter - melted
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried rosemary


Using a bread knife, cut diagonally across the top of the loaf but not completely to the base, then again in the opposite diagonal direction.
Place the slices of cheese in-between the cuts and sprinkle the bread with the bacon lardons (then push them into the cuts).
Mix together the melted butter and dried herbs then pour over the bread.
Wrap the entire loaf in tinfoil and place on a baking sheet.
Bake in the oven at 180deg or 160deg in a fan assisted oven for 15 minutes.
Unwrap and then continue to bake for a further 10 minutes.
Serve whole and invite guests to rip off chunks.

Finally for today I thought I would share with you my fruit drink/punch/smoothie recipe's - I have two and both are sure to be hits with the family! The first is a strawberry based one an the second is peach based.

To make 3/4 servings of strawberry surprise (for the kiddies or the drivers)



2 Cups filtered water

1 Tablespoon of coconut Oil (this doesn't add flavour but simply added for it's nutritional values - it can be omitted if you would rather)

1 tbls of maple syrup
2 tbls of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Cup Kale (large handful)
225g of frozen strawberries
A handful of blueberries
Simply put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth - sever over ice with a slice of strawberry on the edge of the glass, oh and a curly straw!





To Make 3/4 servings of Peach Fizz (for the adults that aren't driving!)


4 fresh, ripe, halved and pitted peaches or 2 tins of peaches in juice
1 cup of diet lemonade
4 shots of vodka
Lots of crushed ice!


In a blender add the peaches and lemonade and blend until smooth - try it and if you find it's not sweet enough - add a little honey.
Fill 4 glasses with crushed ice. 
Pour a vodka shot in each glass and then fill up with the blended peaches/lemonade.
Serve with a slice of peach on the rim of the glass and maybe a cocktail umbrella!


So these are my recipes - and an insight into how I like to do BBQ's in the our little house. I would love to know if you have tried any and liked them so feel free to comment in the box at the bottom of this or any of my other blog posts.


I will be back tomorrow with some decorated table and house ideas for BBQ's and also it is weigh day so fingers crossed for a good loss this week. I have been good, promise!


Right a morning of cleaning has passed and now I am off to write some scribbles down for the story books...


Bye lovely readers!! 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment